RESOLUTIONS 2015 [1st DRAFT]
1) Call someone who has no friends, just to say hello, letting the person know that you do not need anything specific from him/her. Have coffee with lonely people twice a month.
2) Do not read more than one new book a week –if needed re-read (and read no book you wouldn’t reread). Read no book written by, or co-authored with, a journalist. Do not do write more than 2 hours a day. Do not do mathematics more than 4 hours in any given day. Walk 2 hours every day regardless of weather. Do not go the gym more than 5 times in any given month and/or do not spend more than 30 minutes per visit.
3) Fast one day every week on average. Eat meat only on festivals, but then splurge.
4) Respect the janitor more than the chairman and respect those who respect the janitor more than the chairman.
5) Do not read the latest “breakthrough” experiment in psychology about, say, the effect of taking cold showers on grammatical ability. Better even read nothing about these “experiments”.
6) Pick a lobbyist (preferably Monsanto/GMO) or some economist harmful to the collective and make life mis- erable for him, especially if the reaction entails some personal and reputational risks for you.
7) Give to someone who needs money but doesn’t ask for it while finding an excuse to preserve his/her dignity.
8) Use courage and wisdom, not labor, for your income.
9) Humiliate people who define success in any other way than honor. In the end realize that you are only as valuable as the risks you are taking for the sake of others.
Nassim Nicholas Taleb